Wednesday 1 November 2017

The Wood Pile

A few days ago, I took some time out to try to get to the bottom of my woodpile.  I don’t often see the pallets at the bottom as, more often or not, more wood is dumped on before I get to the bottom of the existing pile.  All my wood is collected by hand, and cut by hand – never using a chainsaw.  Lots of people think I am crazy, but I don’t think so.

If I am collecting driftwood off the shore, I am simultaneously exercising the dogs, exercising myself, enjoying the fresh air, watching the gulls, the heron, listening to the wind, or to the quiet.  I find myself reflecting on where the wood might have come from, how long it has been in the water, or, indeed, how long buried in the sand before being washed up.  I can look in among the seaweed for anything of interest.  I look at the shape of the wood, imagining where it once stood when it was part of a tree.

If I am collecting in woods, or fields, I can watch the sheep or cattle and listen to their conversations, or listen to the birds, keep an eye out for buzzards, ravens, pine marten, squirrels, deer.  Sometimes I don’t see anything because the dogs are playing boisterously around the grass or trees.  But once again, it is an opportunity to be outside with my dogs.

The collection is often left in piles to dry out a bit and then eventually piled up in the vehicle to go home, and once again all handled onto the wood pile just inside my gate.  My hands invariably smell of earth, or sea, or both, and my clothes covered in moss or seaweed – or both.

When it comes to cutting it into lengths, because I don’t use a chainsaw, it means the dogs can be outside with me.  They know to keep out of the range of the bowsaw, and if they do get too close, it is easy enough to halt in my movement.  As I handle the wood onto my sawhorse, I often remember finding that bit, sometimes I remember an incident attached to it.  I rarely cut rhododendron without remembering the cut to the bone of my finger in a momentary lapse of concentration.  I think I was rushing that day….I should know better.

The Cutting Room Floor

And The View From The Cutting Room Floor
I like to cut wood in the morning sunshine – we have had precious little of that this year, hence this late push to get some more done.  As I cut, I often put pieces aside, with thoughts of something else I might do with it. 


Might find another use for this.
Each season brings its own entertainment; the courting birdsong of early spring, the rush and push to get as much food as possible for baby birds, the neighbour’s chickens, the wind in the trees, the joy of a line of washing blowing in a warm summer wind, the oystercatchers down on the shore, visiting children next door.

I watch Tussock sleeping at the foot of the house steps, gradually turning from black to speckly black as sawdust drifts over and settles on her.   Talulah curls up to the side of me for a time, watching what I am doing.  River and Skara watch out for intruders.  Or they all sunbathe on the path.


I think they were watching a passing crow here.
Or sometimes we have a bit of play time.

I think this might have been a hot day.
And once it is cut, then it is sorted into which pile it will go on – good and dry goes in the early winter pile, seasoned but a bit damp goes in the mid-winter pile, not quite ready, but will be in a month or two goes in the late-winter pile.  Then there is the next-winter pile. 


Early Winter Pile

The Middle One

The Later Pile

Still needs a bit of seasoning.
During the winter, when the stove is burning 24 hours a day, I can take satisfaction in knowing that all my heating and hot water has come from my own efforts.  But more than that, each hour I spend out there by my saw horse, I am forced to slow down, to pace myself, to be aware of what is around me.  I feel grounded, and connected.          

Time to put the feet up.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment