Tuesday 23 September 2014

I Love My Dogs - And You Better Believe It!

A conversation with a friend got me thinking about how much my dogs mean to me.  The comment "He's fast asleep, love that little bugger" was so nice to hear as it made me feel a bit more normal.  I know many of my friends love their dogs dearly - but how often do we publicly say how much?  Or do we feel a bit embarrassed to say so unless it is to someone we know will understand?  After all, they are just dogs....

As I child I never had any interest in dolls - but I remember always wanting to have a dog in the house.  As a six year old I stayed awake late into the night waiting for our rescue afghan hound to arrive - I couldn't wait until morning.  And when he died some years later, it wasn't long before I was nattering for another dog.  Along came Tanya, another rescue afghan who saw me through my teenage years.  My brother didn't have any interest in dogs, and to this day, has never had one in his own household - I think he barely tolerates my brood!

In fact, I worked out that in just over 50 years, I have only had a total of perhaps 3 of them without a dog.  And now I cannot imagine life without them - it would be empty, and somehow pointless.

I never wanted to have children - and often wondered if there was something wrong with me.  In my early twenties, I worked in a bank, and whenever a young woman came in with a baby, all the other girls would flock to the counter to ask to hold the baby.  Various maternal noises would be made and I would remain at my desk wondering what the fuss was about.  When anyone came into the bank with a puppy, however, I was out the door to the front office to make a fuss of the pup.

Like human babies bring out the maternal instincts in (most) women, it is puppies that bring it out in me.  I just want to sit down and play with them, and be treated to puppy kisses.  I daresay that many women my age just thought I was odd.

Leroy was my first dog of my own - and he was my companion for almost 17 years, seeing me through the break up of my first marriage and several subsequent relationships before I settled down again - he saw all my ups and downs, heard the laughter and the tears, and just quietly kept life in balance for me by giving me routine and responsibility.  He was an amazing dog, and my only wish is that I had been a little wiser in those days and been a better mum.  Losing him at an old age was hard, but he had a good and full life and it was time for him to go.

Leroy aged four
Sisko the labrador came along in Leroy's last year - an unruly rescue pup who was hell bent on mischief, theiving and driving me round the bend.  He and I actually always had what you might call a difficult relationship - I never really bonded with him like I have with all the others - but it is him I have to thank for teaching me so much and forcing me to learn - about dogs, and about myself.  I just lost him a couple of years ago at almost 14.  Through his lifetime he played the kindly "uncle" to four  puppies, and whilst he grumbled regularly he never lost his temper at any of them. 

Sisko always loved to sleep in boxes
My little collie Laren was the heartbreaker (and the absolute love of Sisko's life) - and it still makes me cry to think about her early death at just six years of age.  I have had to box up those last memories and bury them deep so that the waves of emotion and tears don't come crashing in like a winter storm.  I can think of her life easily enough, and remember how clever she was, how quickly she would learn another trick, and her very cheeky way of demanding attention by gently nudging visitors in the crotch!  Perhaps I should reserve a page for her one of these days.

Laren

Laren and Sisko often chose to cuddle up
Tussock came along just months before we lost Laren.  Then came Talulah, and finally River.  I sit here with River on the sofa beside me, Talulah on the other sofa, and Tussock under the table.  In half an hour they will all have changed places without me noticing the flow of bodies as they take turns to lay beside me.

My dogs are my family, as important and special to me as any human children are to their parents.  I tell them my hopes and dreams, my secrets and my worries. When I watch them sleeping, my heart fills with love and tenderness for them.  In the night, if I wake, I reach out to touch whoever is closest, and just enjoy their warmth and softness.  I don't care if non-dog people think I am odd.  I don't care if they think being kissed by a dog is dirty.  I don't give a flying f**k.

I LOVE MY DOGS!!!!!  And you had better believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I believe !
    The one, and biggest, mistake of my life.... I waited too long to have dogs !

    ReplyDelete