Wednesday 23 March 2016

The Journey to Crufts Part 4

Finally on the M74, we settled down for a long journey south, and agreed to stop off at our usual services to gather our wits, have a coffee, and let the dogs have a stretch.

However, it would seem we had another problem in the form of River who was beside me.  She just could not get comfortable.  In my haste to get the hire van packed up and get going again, I really didn't look at the size of the front bench seat.  I was sat in the middle and she in passenger seat, but there just wasn't enough room for her to lay down, not enough room to curl up, she didn't want to go in the foot well, and so she just sat up watching the road like Min and myself.

But she was tired and every now and again she would put her head on my shoulders, gradually sliding down the back of me, then she would sit up and lean on me.  Then she started to shake.  And pant.  Oh boy.  I came to the conclusion that she needed the loo not having had much opportunity to poo since the morning.

The services eventually loomed up and I got out River and Silkie - both of whom gratefully peed and pooed.  Great, I thought, River will settle down now.  Next were Chief and Larney.  And finally Min and I went in for a coffee and sat down with relief that we were on our way properly.  And now we were suitably fuelled with coffee.  Did we eat?  I can't remember!!

River seemed happier for the next bit of the journey.  Not long into our journey, a police car passed at high speed with all lights flashing.  He was certainly in a hurry.  And five minutes down the road we saw the queue of red lights stretching ahead........

We came to a halt, and then inch by inch we moved forward.  After a while it transpired that all the outside traffic was coming in to our lane, and there was traffic coming on to the motorway - int our lane.  It seemed every other lane was moving faster than we were.

Finally, about 45 minutes later, the cause of the bottle neck became apparent - a three vehicle crash on the outside lane - somebodies' journey had come to a halt on that Friday night.  I guess we should be grateful it wasn't us.

Once we got going again, the road became quieter and quieter as the evening went on - and we munched up the miles efficiently.  River was starting to shuffle again - poor girl - there was nothing I could do to make her more comfortable.

As we neared the services where we would be staying, I commented that we had managed to retain our humour despite all that had happened, and that we hadn't shouted at each other - quite a feat, I think!  I suggested that if we swore at each other in the morning that we shouldn't take it personally!  Agreed.

At 3.00am we arrived at our hotel.  Dogs out for a pee, watered, back in the van - we were on autopilot by now - bags in hand we staggered in, got our room key and went upstairs.  Double bed.  Hmm - don't mind sharing with Min, but I did feel we would sleep better not sharing.  Luckily I had said yes to Min's question "do we need the foam mattress with us?".  I went back out to get it and River and I made up a bed on the floor.  I don't remember much more.

We had to be up at 7am......I might tell you about the day at Crufts another time.  We were just grateful to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment