Monday 12 September 2011

Introducing the Family

So, why on earth does a 51 year old woman who lives on her own, with fairly limited income and time, a small house, three horses and three dogs want another dog?  Why not?  Why does a woman with 20 pairs of shoes want yet another pair?  At least a dog gives something back!

Let me introduce you to the “family”.

In the dog section we have Sisko, a 13 year old black Labrador named after Captain Benjamin Sisko in Star Trek Deep Space Nine – a big black man with attitude.  Sisko has had attitude all his life, although it has definitely softened over the years.  I confess that I haven’t always had an easy relationship with him, going between love and hate regularly and swiftly.  We got him at around 6 months old to be a companion to our elderly Leroy who was beginning to fade.  Having had Leroy as a companion for 16 years, I had certain expectations of this youngster coming into our midst.  He met none of them.  He was hugely aggressive over food, he didn’t come when called, didn’t want to play except on his own terms - when and how he felt like it.  His saving grace over that period was that Leroy had a new lease of life, and Sisko did seem to look out for him.

Perhaps I sound very harsh on this summing up, but that was how it was at the time.  I wasn’t very well at the time, suffering from stress, depression and the (at that time) unrecognised side effects of anti-epilepsy drugs.  Notably the drug company now include that particular side effect on their list.

Today is different.  I have mellowed, he has mellowed, my life is completely different.  Most importantly, perhaps, is that I have learned an awful lot since those early days – about me, about dogs, about life.  I can look back and see where I have come from but in those days I had no idea where I was going.

Anyway, Sisko is now the elder statesman of the family – grey and grizzled and much slower.  He still tends to do things on his terms, and he still drives me daft at times.  Now I can understand that his early months prior to coming to us were not all they should have been.  He was given up to Rescue as an out of control dog, who was chewing to the point of destroying the house.  We know nothing of that first home, but I suspect he was bought as a cute puppy who was expected to train himself and entertain himself.  His aggression over food could have stemmed from teasing, or bad advice.  His dislike/fear of young children could have been from lack of contact, or teasing.  We don’t know.  His food aggression these days is much less – he no longer scares me – I think he is the scared one, to be honest, in case I take his food away.  Children are always taught how to treat him.  If he comes for a stroke, fine, otherwise leave him alone.  If he growls, leave him alone.  If he is in his bed, leave him alone.  Oddly enough, he never did any chewing when he came to us…..
He has a few health issues now, the main one being a condition known as GOLPP - Geriatric Onset Laryngeal Paralysis and Polyneuropathy.  Basically - he's getting old, his legs aren't as strong, his breathing is not great at times, he is slower, sometimes a little confused or pedantic, but he does seem to be contented.  The last puppy to come into his life was three years ago - he grumped his way round for days whilst the bundle of fun tried to play with him.  Eventually he gave in and started to play - but only when nobody was looking.  He couldn't be seen playing!!  I think the next arrival might drive him to his bed, but we'll all make allowances for the grumpy old man!
In 2007 and starting to look just a bit distinguished

In his younger days and in a favourite bed!

With Laren - the love of his life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment