Saturday 24 September 2011

Jinty and Toffee

Mooi's first companion with me was Cuinneag, an Eriskay pony belonging to a friend.  He was with me for about 6 months before his presence was required back at home.  Then along came a rather ancient old boy called Danny.  I set out to look at a 26 year old mare who turned out to be a 35 year old gelding belonging to a couple who were moving abroad.  In hindsight, I don't think he should have been moved at that age - the emotional and physical stresses were quite a lot to ask of him - it might have been kinder to have had him put to sleep rather than put him through all that.  Anyway, he ended up coming home with me, a collection of bones covered by a bit of tired flesh and he stayed with me for the summer before I eased his exit from life.  I figured that with very few teeth he was going to find it hard to eat enough to see him through another winter.  His last moments were spent with his head in the bucket eating a tasty mash.

Old Danny soon after arrival
Danny's departure happened on the same day Jinty arrived.  Another Eriskay pony - this time a mare and sixteen years old.  She'd been a brood mare all her life, and had had some recent training in hand and under saddle.  She is a complex creature, with a lot of wisdom, a firm opinion of how she wants things to be, and an ability to wind me up big style.  She just knows which buttons to press.  I could swear that she loves to do it too!  That said, if I'm sad, she is the first to stand and listen and let me lean on her.  In some ways she is wise beyond her now 19 years.


Jinty at the shore


Jinty


She and Mooi became good friends, but Jinty does have a history of separation anxiety when not in the company of her companions.  A babysitter was just the thing!  And so Toffee arrived.  I didn't go looking for her, but she found her way to me.  34 inches (at the shoulder) of Shetland pony.  Now, my thoughts of Shetlands were that were all spoiled, nippy, brattish, fat, and nasty.  Toffee is quite the opposite - sweet, kind, gentle, easy going, and patient.  Now four, she has recently been backed and has a regular if infrequent rider who adores her.

So, how do the dogs get along with the horses?  All in all, just fine.  Mooi did go through a stage of chasing them but I think we are past that now.  If she does make moves as if to do so, she responds to my very stern "NO!".  Jinty and Toffee are great with them.  I just have to watch that they don't get over eager in trying to groom them!  Toffee in particular seems to have a particular fondness for Tussock.


Toffee not sure about Tussock
Tussock not sure about Toffee










As for the dogs - Sisko really doesn't like these big creatures, and tends to keep out of the way.  Tussock regards them as part of their pack to be looked after, and Talulah is just too busy to notice sometimes.  The horses are used to having their muzzles licked even if they don't like it.

The great thing is that the horses are pretty bomb proof when it comes to the dogs rushing around, jumping through the bracken, and chasing one another.


So, that's the family - now just getting ready for the new arrival.  The house has had a bit of a cleaning - a bit pointless you might think, but I doubt I will have much time over the next few weeks.  I set off at 4.30 tomorrow morning ......

Looking all sweet and innocent at four weeks old.....


No comments:

Post a Comment