Tuesday 29 January 2013

Actions and Reactions

All dogs, not just hovawarts, recognise certain movements or routines made by their humans that give them a clue as to what is happening next especially when it involves something they enjoy.  My girls are no exception - but with three dogs, the "volume" of their expectations is turned up.  We can try to hide what our intentions are, but there is no fooling them.

Getting up in the morning is the first thing - as I emerge from sleep, I obviously change my breathing pattern and start to move more - they pick up on these changes, and then I become aware of their eyes boring holes into me, River's recharged and pent up energy, and Talulah's insistent whistly whine.  If I am not quite ready to get up I will growl at them to settle back down, and I have to lay very still and make believe I am still asleep.


Once I make eye contact with them, it is all systems go - by the time I reach my clothes, River has run up and down the stairs a couple of times, and then stands on the landing shouting at me.  Talulah does her best to steal whatever clothes I am trying to put on, and Tussock is trying lick my face and have her backside scratched at the same time.  On the way down stairs and through the sitting room, River moves as though she is on springs jumping from chair to chair.


Hurry up Mum!


Now I confess - I don't hold with the attitude that you must always eat first before you feed your dogs or they will think they rule the house.  I feed my dogs before anything else happens, partly because it gets them out of the way.  I only have a small house, and moving round my kitchen with all the dogs in there is like moving through treacle.

Trying to get ready to go out is an adventure in its own right.  I haven't timed the exercise, but I have to start thinking about it about half an hour before leaving.  The girls pick up on the tiniest movement.  Every time I go to the loo is a celebration as it just might mean we are going somewhere as I always go before leaving home.  All three pile in the small room with me in excited expectation.  The one major cue, however, is my shutting the laptop.  They burst into action, beside themselves with glee at whatever is going to be happening. 

Going upstairs to get extra socks to wear with my wellies, River bounds up the staircase in about three strides, then stands at the top wagging her tail and laughing at me.  Sometimes I play a game and go into creeping mode - at this she bounces into the bedroom, barking, and doing somersaults on the bed and then back to the landing to bark at me.  By this time Talulah and Tussock have come upstairs too, and then I cannot go back down as they all decided to play-fight on the stairs. 


Dog jam on the stairs


Whilst I put the extra socks on, I have to hang on to my slippers or they will be claimed by Talulah and be deposited somewhere - often outside in the garden.  Jacket, hat, wellies, camera and car keys are gathered up and we make it outside.  Ooops, Talulah managed to get my slippers, plus three toys in her mouth - so I must take them back inside. 

I need to make up bucket feeds for the horses, trying to keep out the greedy dogs whilst I do so, and also stop them trying to get at tomorrow's food which is defrosting on top of the freezer. 

Right, ready to go - dogs in the back of the car - and I have to go back in the house to get towels - we ALWAYS need them!  Or I might forget something else - some days I have to make as many as three trips back into the house.

The dogs are always excited about going somewhere in the car as it nearly always means a walk - this excitement is there whichever direction I go in.  Tussock is calm, but River is almost beside herself with excitement.  And Talulah copies her.  Going to work, this excitement reaches fever pitch if we are going to the cottage at Craiguillean - we go over the cattle grid and turn sharp right and it is like being in the midst of a thousand screaming girls at a Beatles concert.


The road to Craiguillean - who can blame them for being excited!


The computer cue comes into its own again at bedtime.  When I turn off the laptop, and it goes "ping", three dogs leap into the air as if simultaneously given an electric shock.  They dash into the kitchen and wait expectantly for supper.

And finally it is bed time - River is first up the stairs and claims her spot on the bed, followed by Tussock.  Talulah breathes a sigh of relief and settles down to some peace and quiet.  Another day draws to a close.

No room for me.
 
Peace at last!
 

5 comments:

  1. I once searched the internet and consulted trainers on how I could change this. And at the first moment I made progress with some of it, I realized, I love it to much! Enjoying the ride is so much more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like my dogs to have personalities, and not to be automated clones of perfection. Life is frustrating at times with them, but they make me laugh with their antics. There are things I could improve - but what the heck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My children often tell me that my dogs are allowed what they were forbidden ..... and the reason : I love their faces (the dogs faces that is) when they do exactly what you describe. There are rituals here too... and 99% of the time they bring an enormous smile on my face. Lovely story, it gives a clear picture of what is going on :-):-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose the biggest difference is that children will leave and become independent so you have to arm them with all the manners and discipline they will need in life - dogs remain forever our children, so we can indulge them a bit more :-) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great posts and very nice dogs ! Best regards from Slovenia :-)

    ReplyDelete