Saturday 26 January 2013

River of Enthusiasm


Right!  Time to get this blog motoring again.  After a bit of encouragement and nagging from various quarters I decided a year was a long enough gap.  Where did 2012 go?  Whoops!   But never mind.  So, where were we?  Ah, yes, a growing puppy – who is now eighteen months old, still very puppy-like in many ways but starting to show much more adult behaviour.  I won’t try to fill in the last year as that would be difficult to do, but I am sure a few stories might just creep in.

I had been wondering what I was writing this blog for – I read a small handful of blogs regularly and they always have so much to say that is worth listening to – things that make you think – or laugh – or cry - the best ones do all three.  Should I try do something similar?  Can I match them?  The reality is that I don’t think I can – because that would be imitating and that wouldn’t be true to what goes on in this particular household in a quiet corner of Scotland’s west coast.  So I will continue to write it for the same reasons as I started – for River’s breeder, and various far flung friends and family who were not able to see her in the flesh.  To them, I apologise for the long gap, and hope you will pick up the thread where I lost it.  Mostly though, I will just write it for the fun of it – if I pick up a few readers, wonderful, glad to have you aboard, but I just feel like writing again.
Riversong at Eighteen Months
 “Little” Riversong is now the biggest of my three dogs.  Three dogs?  Afraid so – I lost old Sisko back in June last year.  He did okay at 14, but he had been slowing down, losing weight and getting a bit grumpy.  His time caught up with him and we said goodbye to him before he suffered too much of the pain and indignity of old age.  Things came to a head when he started taking multiple seizures – it wasn’t fair on him or on the others, to keep him going for the sake of it. 

Oddly enough, the rest of the pack were quite subdued for a few days – whether they felt his passing or perhaps they took their cue from me, I’m not sure, but it wasn’t too long before the play started again.  River has a vast reservoir of energy and attitude and it can only be contained for a little while before the dam bursts and all hell lets loose.

It is interesting how the relationships between the dogs has changed over the last year.  For a long time Tussock had very little interest in the young pretender – yes, she would sniff her, play a little, and certainly protect her, but it was with the air of a great aunt who really can’t be doing with these noisy children charging about and disturbing the peace.  How things have changed!  I have never seen Tussock play so much as she has done this last couple of months.  It’s like she suddenly deems River a worthy playmate – someone her own size and build – but most important of all – of the same attitude.

Hovawart play is rough, violent, no holds barred and awesome to watch.  There are shoulder charges, kangaroo jumps, bowl overs, boxing and steamrollering with lots of gnashing teeth, whites of eyes, and vocalisations.  I do see and hear a little bit of a challenge from River and discipline from Tussock - now and again the tone changes and the game will be brought to a halt with disciplinary action from the Boss.  River is still very respectful of Tussock, but she tests her continually the same way as children test their parents.
 

  

 River’s relationship with Talulah is entirely different – she bullies her, bites her, shouts at her and yet Talulah still tries to defend her when the two hovies are playing.  So much so that I have to hold her back to prevent her from getting hurt.  Inside, the two of them are good buddies – sharing a toy, or a bit of firewood, and playing gently – but out on a walk River shrugs off her chummy coat and turns in to Superthug.   That’s a tale for another day.



10 comments:

  1. Great you (re-)started the blog, Jan. It will be fun to follow.

    Touching to read about Sisko's passing and how the other's mourned a couple of days. It shows again how much more dogs can feel, than what most people give them credit for.

    Those are some awesome pictures of some real Hovie play. Viva is not agile enough to be able to imitate that, but she shows the same behavior. Kenzo has a lot of respect for her, so when Viva gets tired of his bouncing around she can let him stop just by giving "the look". Of course their dynamics are different as Viva is a lady and Kenzo is a boy, so I guess Viva will have no problems in the future whatsoever to assert her "leadership".

    So sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am quite sure that Viva plays with exactly the same attitude but will have adjusted her style to her ability. She has obviously developed the "stop a charging rhino at a hundred paces" look.

      Delete
  2. Hallo! I'm glad to have found this blog. I have two hovi girls (they are sisters of different age, they have same parents), Maya and Inca, five year (blonde) and eighteen months (black and tanned).
    I liked reading about their play, because Maya and Inca play in the same way, which is sometime awful to see from outside (nobody gets hurt, never).
    Have a nice day and I hope to read again your blog!
    Silvia (Italy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Silvia - and I hope to keep writing now that I have started again. Hovawart play is like no other dog play that I have ever seen - and yet, as you say, nobody gets hurt. Give your girls a hug from me!

      Delete
  3. It is so nice to read that everywhere the hovi ladies have more or less the same behaviour :-):-) I have 2 girls, Roxy will turn 8 in April and Doeschka will turn 2 in June. They play more and more, the stronger Doeschka gets the more furious the playing gets. Lots of people have warned me: somewhere in the future there will be a big farm"bitchfight" and the ladies will settle once and for all who is the leader. Do you have any experience in that? Furthermore I love to read stories about your dogs, it makes me smile or laugh out loud (or cry) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello glad to read this blog. We lost our lovely 8 year old Hovi girl Coco last december. Terrible los it was. A few years back we also lost another Hove girl only 2 years, but she had very bad HD in both hips. Now we only have a mixed dog, half Icelandic shepard, half Aussie. Very cute and full of life. She was in mourning for a full month when Coco passed away. We are now one the path of finding a new Hovawart. It seems life is just not the same in our house without one. So in the meantime it is fun to read about all the good times you have with your Hovis. Regards Ruth from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you have lost two girls at such young ages - that must have been hard, especially one at two years old. I cannot imagine a house without a hovawart now - good luck in your search for your next one.

      Delete
  5. Hi Yvonne - I hear more and more "fight" coming into the play, but I think that allowing them to play like this enables them to keep testing and releasing energy. It might prevent an enormous explosion some time in the future, they may have an almighty fight but I have always been told that bitches fight worse than dogs. I like to think that being able to release lots of energy by free running and play will keep them sweet - but they may prove me wrong! Thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jan, Just now i finished reading your blog. Very, very nice and funny. Don't stop
    writing. Reading the parts about River-thief i thought, it is our Cooper you are writing about.
    We had other dogs before, a Husky, a Münsterländer and a Dalmatiner, but Hovis are something special and i don't want to be without them. So go on writing, i'll follow !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thomas - you are so right - Hovawarts are something special. Thank you for reading!

      Delete