Thursday 31 January 2013

Shocking Behaviour

I didn't start, or re-start this blog to make a statement in any way - there are others doing that.  However, something came to mind the other day after a conversation with someone I vaguely know.

I had been telling her about the issues of River charging at Talulah and my efforts to stop this activity, or at least reduce it.  Her suggestion astounded me - why didn't I use an electric shock collar?

I will tell you why.

When Tussock was about two years old, perhaps a bit younger, she got a shock from an electric fence.  A friend here on the island very kindly allows me to store hay in her barn.  We buy a lorry load together and her barn is more or less big enough to take the lot.  I go down and pick up a few bales at a time.  When their place was first built, the paddocks had electric fences round them prior to the post and rail fencing going up.

Most of the lower part of this fence was high enough that the dogs could get underneath without contact, but Tussock managed to find the bit that wasn't.  I was half way up the wall of hay when I heard her scream, and the next thing I knew was she came flying into the barn and climbed up the hay to get to me, shaking and whimpering.  It took some time to calm her down and persuade her to come out of the barn.  All she wanted to do was go in the car, and I allowed her to do so.

For about a year, she wouldn't even get out of the car when we went down there.  I would leave the door open for her, but she wouldn't move from her seat.  Eventually the memory faded and she is quite happy now to get out and play and mooch.  The electric fence has long since gone.

So why would I use a shock collar when the shock and pain creates a fear like this?

2 comments:

  1. Sad that people still consider an e-collar as an option. They should simply be banned, it is animal abuse.

    ReplyDelete